Sue's Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

George of the people

George Murphy is leaving politics - our loss - and hopefully his gain.

When I think of our democratic system and the kind of people it should attract - George is the kind of person that comes to mind.

George spent years advising the people on gas and oil prices - for free. He felt it was something that he could do to assist people to reduce or control their living expenses.

George would also participate in talk shows and showed a genuine interest in public service through the political process.

The family guy who loves his kids sat in the House and fought for many things common to most Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. He was and is of the people and for the people. He was humble in his service to the public and felt real privilege at the opportunity to serve.

I found George to be a respectful and considerate individual who also worked well with others and enjoyed listening and learning. He would make a great student should he decide to reach for new academic goals.

Although a Townie - George had no problem relating to rural communities and the beautiful Labrador. I did not agree with all decisions - most particularly support of the Muskrat Falls deal. He did however on balance provide good service to the people and was honourable during his tenure.

George leaves without a pension - and in many ways that's too bad. Some of the nodding head career politicians in the House of Assembly who will receive a pension - deserve it far less than Mr. Murphy.

I don't want to diminish this post on George - but I would be remiss if I didn't add that - George is not the one who should be retiring. Lorraine Michael -"me and my party"- continues to come across as entitled. I do wonder why she chose not to discuss with George the new district and encourage him to take the torch and carry forward.

I believe the provincial NDP momentum just took a hit for two reasons. One is that George is leaving - the other is that Lorraine is staying.

Being able to relate to the majority of people you represent  while willing to learn to relate to the rest is a characteristic of George Murphy. In my opinion the exact opposite is true of Lorraine Michael.

I hope to see George back in some public capacity - but in the meantime - I wish him all happiness and success in private life.

See you sometime - out and about. 

George's Gas and Oil Blog site PRESS HERE



No comments: