Sue's Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

RNC - response for Premier - response for abused women?

I had to shake my head and blink my eyes when I read a story in the Telegram today. "Hidden Abuse" - the story of two abused women.

One of the women - after leaving her abusive husband - says she was inundated with texts and threats - went to police in an attempt to get some help. Here is an excerpt from the story:

She finally got the nerve to go to the police, with the hope of getting an emergency protection order (EPO) and support. She got neither, she said. “It was 5:30 p.m., and (the officer) gave me the feeling like I was bothering him,” she said. 

“He asked me why I was there and not at my lawyer’s office. I was told I could apply for an EPO 24-7. 

“I felt so small. I felt belittled. I was pretty much told that unless I was beaten, there’s nothing they could do for me. (The officer) advised me to go to my lawyer for an EPO. He made me feel like I was wasting his time.

The second woman was in a similar situation and left - with intimidating emails that followed. The response she received by the police is also described in this horrific story.

The Telegram got this response from the RNC:

However, Const. Lindsay Dillon of the RNC’s domestic violence unit admits proving criminal harassment can be difficult. 

Underlying subtle threats, name-calling and screaming don’t always warrant criminal charges. Messages, texts and comments can be interpreted in various ways, she said. 

“It is a problem and it’s wrong, but unfortunately, a lot of the emotional and psychological abuse doesn’t fall under the Criminal Code,” Dillon said. 

“It’s hard sometimes to draw the line and oftentimes, our hands are tied.” 

Am I missing something here?

Was the response to the Premier's office suggesting "perceived threats" against the Premier - treated the same as the response to these women?

The RNC constable went on to say:

“So my advice is to reach out to people.”

The story concluded by saying:

Mary and Sarah did reach out. And while they didn’t get the help they needed, they hope speaking out publicly will help other people in similar situations. 

Please take the time to read this story in the Telegram today

No comments: